12/16/2008

Christmas in "The Air"


Christmas Decorations at The Ritz.




Patrick at "The Art of Christmas exhibition"

Yesterday I exchanged my dog walking trousers and wellies for more suitable attire as I made my way down to London on board a lovely new train which tilted and whizzed it's way into Euston station from Crewe in an incredible hour and a half!

I had a lovely time mooching around some of my favourite shops in Covent Garden and of course Liberty's and enjoyed the opportunity to meet up with my brother. The main reason for the trip however was to visit The "Art of Christmas" Exhibition by Books Illustrated Ltd. which opened at the Air Gallery in Dover Street. I took along my son Patrick who happened to be working in London, so it was good to have some company. We took the tube to Green Park and as we walked past "The Ritz Hotel" I could not resist taking a photograph of a stunning window decoration.

It was a real treat to meet up with some of my favourite artists, Particia Papps and her husband Andrew Skilleter and of course the amazing Peter Malone, who's illustrations for the newly published "Nutcracker" adorned the walls of the gallery. Peter told me that he did not take up illustration until he was forty years old. You can read more about how this came about and what influences his work, here.Peter Malone

I also managed to persuade our usually camera shy son Patrick to pose for a photograph, perhaps the champagne helped!

12 comments:

  1. What an exciting day! I've been looking at the links – beautiful stuff!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I love the artwork of the artists at your links and viewing their work at an exhibiton must have been very exciting.

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that Liberty's is still there - you can't be sure these days - and that first image is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is quite handsome.

    I noticed the Ritz does not even try to hide the electric cords on their lights. I like that idea and may do it myself. If anyone points it out, I will very knowingly say, "That is how it is done at The Ritz in London."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I love Liberty and vistiting Covent Garden.
    My youngest sister lives in London so I can stay with her.
    Looks like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had such a lovely day out. I would hate to live in London but isn't it lovely just to go for the day and to visit something you really want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh, thanks so much for taking me along! Liberty at Christmas...could there be a better place??!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely opulent decorations at the Ritz! I've enjoyed seeing the artist in your links.

    I agree with dana and daisy your son is a cutie! Hope you're having a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it wonderful to enjoy time with your sons when they're grown! Patrick is very nice looking.... sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you had such a nice time...sounds so exciting! I love Christmas in the city...we were in New York City last Christmas season~ the window decor. and design was fascinating! However...do love the country n' quiet romps.
    Thanks for sharing...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it is very good to know that Liberty's is still holding strong. My last visit to London was several years ago, and I was a bit startled by the renovations going on, and wondered if the beautiful store was being cut down to some less desirable size.

    You've got a very handsome son!

    Hoping that your art will get lots of inspiration during the next few weeks, and that lots of folks will be sharing the results of your imagination by purchasing some of our beautiful work.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valerie,
    Firstly, thank you for visiting my site, and checking out the award I chose to share with you! I think your images of London are stunning. I love your A-Z of Flora - I have a dear friend whose name is Flora - it might make a lovely gift for her!
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete