12/08/2008

The Holly and more Holly!



ILex Altaclarensis Golden King

Ilex Crenata Convexed Gold


When we first moved into our present home, over twenty years ago, I started to keep a little garden notebook. Every time I bought a plant I kept a note of the date of purchase, the price and any instructions that came with the plant such as "water well in spring" etc. It has been very interesting to keep track of the progress of some of these purchases. Some sadly did not make it through their first winter, others thrived and have made themselves at home and have become part of the fabric of our home, albeit outdoor fabric!

As I have often been asked to paint Christmas foliage, it seemed like a good idea to have a plentiful supply of evergreen plants in the garden, some of these, in particular the hollies, have become firm favourites. I have been looking back at the notes I have made about some of these plants and was surprised to see that a small tree, purchased from a nearby nursery for a mere £7.99 is now the main focal point in my front garden. It is a beautiful, two coloured green and gold holly called Ilex Altaclarensis Golden King.

I also bought a tiny holly called Ilex Crenata Convexed Gold. This has a spreading habit and makes good ground cover and unlike the common, hedgerow holly, has no prickles at all. I think all in all, the holly makes a great addition to any garden, its shiny, evergreen leaves are reward in themselves, with or without their red berries.

16 comments:

  1. Christmas would be incomplete without holly acornmoon - in the garden as well as on our cards and our mantelshelf. There are so many different varieties but they are all lovely. All my berries have now gone to the redwings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful foliage! I can see why it inspires you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have good old American Hollies, and juniper, but they are not so established that I would dare take cuttings for Christmas... yet!

    My hollies are COVERED in berries, so maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful silver greens! And I do love your drawing. You were very smart to start and maintain a garden journal. I'm sure it is a great resource, not to mention a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, as always. Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a beautiful variety you have there!
    I have 3 large holly trees in the garden(was 4 until one was blown over in the gales a couple of years ago)but mine are the plain dark green evergreen. Only one of my trees produces berries, and every year the birds have had them all before Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is pure joy when we have a painting to complete...and instead of searching through libraries~ we are able to walk through our gardens. Beautiful image...beautiful foliage~
    Best wishes...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images on this post and the previous ones. I have long admired your work and would love to have your skill. Thankyou for your kind comment on my daisy book. It was made from scratch with painted calico pages, some decorated with stitching, some just with a cut out image and some actually drawn by me!! I also made a couple of the rubber stamps I used, so I am slowly getting braver! The cover was made from craft vilene using Maggie Grey's technique with gesso, embedded bits and pieces, stitch and paint. Altogether it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for the kind and helpful (not to mention supportive) comments on my Blog. I have very much enjoyed yours and will follow you with interest. The illustrations are a joy. I live in the West Midlands so not too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly is one of my favorites,too. Makes me think of one of the many questions my husband asks me: "Just how many shades of green do you see?"
    I can get lost (or found) in nature.
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos...but I don't see any snow...
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out for a walk recently, I was thrilled to find a holly bush?/tree? growing alongside a field near our home. It had made itself quite at home amongst a tangle of vines and had lots of vibrant red berries all over it. Worth braving the cold wind for! Your Christmas illustration is so beautiful... so appealing and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I like the December illustration - holly is so much a part of Christmas and I love to see it. We have a long hedge at the back of our garden which is almost entirely holly - your different varieties are so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Interesting blog,I like to exchange link with you.
    walking my blog with A Rose.hope you'll visit my site too.
    http://www.businessonlinetips4u.blogspot.com/
    http://www.googleadsensesystem.blogspot.com/
    http://www.onlinebusinesscourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lusia, thanks for your visit, I am not sure which is your blog, walking with A Rose?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been getting inspired by your blog for sometime now! I think your photos and your art are beautiful. I've been the recipient of an award that I am supposed to pass along. If you visit my blog you will see I have posted yours as one of the deserving receipients!
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Olivia,

    Thank you for your visit and for your very kind comments, I hope you visit again.

    ReplyDelete