2/15/2009

Little quilt




Last Easter, Tony, Ted and I stayed in a lovely seaside cottage in Portpatrick, Scotland. The weather was bracing to say the least but the cottage was cosy and warm and I started to make a little quilt out of my Hedgerow samples plus a few plains from my stash. I used a simple hexagon template and started to assemble the quilt piece by piece using the “English method” which involves tacking each piece to a paper template. (A good way to recycle junk mail!) The first photograph shows how the work looks before the paper is removed.

I made good progress whilst on holiday but inevitably the sewing had to take a back seat when I returned home. I hate to leave anything unfinished so little by little I eventually managed to complete a tiny quilt. It was very satisfying doing the actual quilting by hand, although it looks a bit wonky if you look too closely.

Now anybody who owns a Jack Russell will know how they love to sit by a window and guard the house against postmen and cats, Ted is no exception. I found that the little quilt makes a good chair cover, which is easy to wash and looks less unsightly that the old towel which it replaced.

If you have never tried quilting before I hope you might be tempted to try, working by hand, little by little is very satisfying and unlike a larger machine project, is very portable, you can pick it up and set it down again, just like knitting

23 comments:

  1. I dream of making quilts like that! Your little ted by the window is so cute! Hope you had the sweetest of valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb, as always. I envied you the cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your little quilt acornmoon. I have been a quilter for many years and have recently done them all on the sewing machine - maybe not so satisfying but a lot quicker. Love the Jack Russell - hope he appreciates his quilt.
    We were in Portpatrick a few years ago in a pub called The Downshire Arms - had a lovely holiday - it is a lovely place (if, as you say, a bit bracing) - we loved the Mull of Galloway too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hexagon quiltlet! It reminded me that, hidden away somewhere, I have a bunch of tacked down hexies in lovely Liberty of London fabrics waiting to be whipped together! Thanks for the lovely pictures of your little quilt's progress! The photo of your dog at the window is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is a lovely useful little quilt. My cat as a nice quilt which she steadfastly ignores, choosing instead to sit upon all my other quilts or any work in progress! You have a much more obediant dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, I really like patchwork stitched by hand in this method. I have also been finishing a patchwork project from last year.It is good to see yours being used so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty little quilt! And so you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this little quilt for ted.
    It is very satisfying to quilt by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another of your many talents! I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How patient you must be to do all that fine stitching! Ted looks so cute sitting by the window on his lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely quilt - just right for Ted in his place by the window waiting for that postman to come along:) Your holiday cottage sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ted's very lucky to have such a stylish quilt!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your little quilt--lovely earth colours! And an excellent perch for your little security guard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! Ted's a lucky boy.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Valerie, we stayed at a B&B in Bath several years ago and the proprietors were "owned" by a little Jack Russell named "Pickles". Because? He always got into pickles, of course. Charming little dogs! And so is your quilt.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was reading last night how women used to use old letters cut up for the paper templates in patterns like this one. Happy to hear that you are driven to finish projects you start so we can admire your workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edward and I do love it when Ted makes an appearance!! I have made several quilts, but all by hand because I am just not adept with a sewing machine. I am really not familiar with this English piecing method. I'll have to look into this!
    A lovely quilt you've made, and I can understand being inspired to create in such a beautiful place as Portpatrick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is lovely...just LOVE your pup! We have a Black Lab~ I wish I could pick her up n' hug her...just a bit, too heavy! :)
    Hope your week is off to a great start~
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Your little doggy looks perfectly at home on your pretty new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have intrigued me with this English quilting method. I don't think that I have heard of it before, and will have to do some research.

    Your quilt is a gem. The colors a both rich and subtle.

    And ... to see the noble use to which the little quilt is given ... well done. Ted obviously does take his role very seriously and is deserving of a proper post.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOvely...and Ted loves it too..great photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. There's nothing so satisfying as quilting. This is very sweet Valerie, and it looks as though Ted is chuffed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure what I love best about this photo...the quilt or the tiny bottom upon it!!! Lovely site, beautiful work...

    ReplyDelete