4/15/2009

Sew be it!


I have been feeling very inspired to sew after reading some wonderful crafty sewing blogs, many of which have free tutorials. If you haven’t already visited Tiny Happy then you are missing a treat. Not only does this lady make the most adorable things for her shop, she also has excellent easy to follow sewing patterns for bags and home accents.

Ever since I started designing fabric for Makower I have begun to accumulate a growing selection of fabric samples, my only obstacle is finding the time to sew. The thought of making a full size bed quilt is still very daunting so I have been concentrating on smaller projects. I bought a large quantity of linen in France a few years ago and have been wondering what to do with it, so after much deliberation I finally got around to making some extra large table mats, two of which act as a table runner. I thought I might be able to use them singly for picnics in the summer if the opportunity arose. I made each one about 18 inches by 30 inches and started by neatening the edges with a zig zag stitch, then I cut some borders from my "Herb Garden" fabric and simply top stitched them along the side edges, hey presto, it was as easy as that!

The little baby shoes were also made using fabric from the same "Herb Garden" collection. We are having something of a baby boom in our family at the moment starting with the imminent arrival of a great niece in May. If you would like to make some of these reversible baby shoes there is a great tutorial here by Rhiannon Vining.

The little baby bib was my first attempt at this style of free machine quilting using a darning foot. I got the idea from reading Crazy Mom Quilts, she has some very easy to follow tutorials and lots of other inspirational projects. I used my “Nestled in Springtime” fabrics for this bib and I was pleased with the result even though the underside turned out a bit wonky! I found that a project of this size is a good way to start as it takes a while to get the hang of freehand quilting or stippling. At first my tension was all wrong and so had practice first on a few scraps, I found that I had to increase the tension because I kept on getting loops on the underside.

If you feel inspired to have a go yourself you can use any fabric that you have in your stash, or you can find “Herb Garden” and “Nestled in Springtime” here at The Tabby Cat online shop.

So thank you to Tiny Happy, Crazy Mom Quilts and Rhiannon Vining and for taking the time to post inspirational tutorials.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips - I shall explore these websites with interest! Lucky you, by the way, having linen - I love it but it's so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and superb! I'm so happy to see your handmade creations!!Thank you for the links to those amazing tutorials too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely, that bib is soooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your craft projects all look great! I really love your fabric and wondered if you knew if they sold it in Canada anywhere?

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eleven out of ten as my grand-daughter always says when anything is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these links with us. I've been reading up on free form quilting just recently, thinking it would be very useful on some of my pieces, so the more help I can get the better. Your pieces turned out very nicely.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sewing is beautiful... and those fabrics..... so quintessentially English and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Gillian,

    I am not sure about Canadian suppliers. Over the Rainbow are in the USA and have an internet shop if that is any use? You can follow the link in my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sweet little baby shoes are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty things you've been making! Thanks for the links -- those other blogs were so great to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are lovely Valerie.
    I love tinyhappy such an inspiring blog.
    Will have to check out the others,thanks for sharing.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are quite the talented seamstress, too! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabrics are beautiful, Acornmoon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you've done an excellent job here! Just charming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Val..you are truly amazing, HOW do you possibly find time to sew amongst all your other fantastic accomplishments? I want those baby booties for myself, and I mean to wear myself!!...they are really too cute...keep up ALL the good work, you are an inspration, Love, Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. your bib turned out so cute! i'm glad that you found the tutorial helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh i am off for a peep, my poor old sewing machine has been neglected for far too long & i am beginning to get itchy fingers to do some sewing. Just not enough hours in the day - sighs. beautiful baby shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your placemats are lovely - who could resist linen fabric with your wonderful herb garden border!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Valerie, good for you with the free motion stippling! I have been sewing for 50 years and still have not mastered THAT! Congratulations!
    Plus, your fabrics are totally sweet!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete