6/11/2009

Hudson and Middleton Bone China.



If you haven’t already entered the free draw to win the beautiful braided rug below you have until Monday to do so, when I will pick a winner at random. All you need is a postal address in the USA or Canada and this lovely braided rug could be yours. The company will even ship it to you for free so what are you waiting for? Leave a comment in my last post and I will enter your name into the hat.

My new collection of “designer” mugs is finally ready to buy on-line by following the link in my side bar to the Hudson and Middleton site. They are manufactured in a lovely old Grade II listed building in Stoke-on-Trent, England, which is a bit of a rarity today. The factory has been making exquisite bone china for many years now; it was founded in 1875, which makes it one of the oldest potteries in Britain. It has been touch and go as to whether or not the factory would survive, shortly after I delivered my artwork earlier this year everything looked very bleak and the company went into receivership. Happily the management decided to buy the company and the factory was rescued and many jobs were saved.

I have chosen a design from my bird collection to show you today, there are four birds in this series, blue tit, robin, chaffinch and thrush, all of which are well known in Britain and are some of my favourites. The blue tit (shown here) is one of our most attractive garden birds and can be encouraged to visit by installing peanut feeders, they have a lovely habit of hanging almost upside down when feeding on nuts, caterpillars and seeds. You can learn more about them here on the RSPB website.

25 comments:

  1. Congrats Valerie! Another thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, summery design! I love your mugs ; ). Thanks also for the very interesting story of the manufacturer. I'm always happy to hear about old things restored~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird design is lovely. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations,they are so beautiful and made in England too.
    Will they be available in Canada I wonder? I will ask in our local shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new mugs are really wonderful! My husband and I have a long tradition of buying each other special mugs to have our coffee and tea in and I plan to get one of yours which would make a lovely edition. Congratulations on your latest success!

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mug is lovely. I have been thinking of birds lately and the wonderful song and flight with which they fill the air and sky. I hope to get a couple for me and a friend. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your lovely comments, I am very conscious of the fact that at times my blog looks like a shop window! It try hard not to do the hard sell but I know how much work goes into making these products and with factory jobs at stake I feel it my duty to do my bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie!

    What a absolutely lovely design. Sigh. You have such an eye (and hand!) for beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have looked at all your mugs and have decided that tea would taste so much nicer from one of them...where's my credit card?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie, the new designs will be a great success. I am delighted that the manufacturers did find a way to keep the production of such fine products going.

    I am going to have to find a way to eventually get one of these mugs. First difficulty is choosing just one, because I really do like each one of your creations, and it seems as if your paintings have been very well transported to the china.

    Then, I will get to the ordering stage of things. Another commenter asked if this china is available in Canada. I wonder if it is available in the States, and will do a little investigation.

    Again, congratulations on making lovely contributions to the very splendid tradition of fine English chinaware.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Valerie. I gave you a mention on my blog today when I posted a book i had made - your lovely books are so exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful - you bring together design and detail and naturalism into these perfect timeless pieces. Like another commenter, I wonder if we can get these in N America?

    May I be considered for the nice rug? It has a very Mole End look to it.

    Thanks for the beauty

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a Fantastic Art Work !! Really Loved them..great..Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are perfectly exquisite. I am off now to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To answer your questions about availability in the USA and Canada, well to be honest I don't know for sure but the on-line shop will ship to countries outside the UK. Postage is very reasonable as the mugs are small and lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pleased everything was OK with Hudson and Middleton and that your lovely mugs were completed - love the flower ones and the bird ones - the blue tit is a wonderfully vibrant colour and the thrush so delicate:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. you cant beat sipping tea from a beautiful mug & yours are just oh so perfect! lovely to hear the news that a longstanding business was saved & able to carry on

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful mug, Acornmoon! It's great to hear about the factory being saved too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty mugs! I bet a cup of tea tastes extra special out of one of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi again Valerie. I have been telling bloggers that Monday June 22 will be Mug Monday - now Elizabeth of New York tells me that she thought you said we would leave it until July. Can you let me know which date you prefer ( I would like you to choose) so that I can give the date to my bloggy friends, please? You have the perfect mug on this post it would seem to me. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful! And one of my favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a collector of mugs and yours are so beautiful.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats love your mugs Valarie. I collected some bone china mugs when in England and I love them. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I browsed through your wonderful collection of mugs and am itching to get my hands on at least one of them. Thinking of drinking my tea not only out of bone china, but from one with a bird painted by you, makes the urge almost irresistible!

    I am so happy to hear that this fine English company is going ahead with producing china right there!

    ReplyDelete