7/19/2009

The moon and our little star!


As you might have gathered by now, I have a bit of an obsession with the moon. I think that there is no more magical a sight than a full moon in a clear sky. The first time I ever looked at the moon through an ordinary pair of binoculars I was astounded at how very round it appeared! I love the way the moon appears to change its shape, sometimes a crescent, sometimes a half circle then a full circle. It has such a mystery and a majestic quality about it, the fact that a day on the moon lasts about two weeks, the fact that it has a dark side which we will never see, the way it influences the tides and possibly behavior, all add to its poetry and mystique.

I have been enjoying all the wonderful television and radio programs dedicated to the moon and in particular the moon landings. I am sure those of you who grew up in the sixties will have vivid memories of watching the moon landings on television. When I was little I used to visit a very old lady in her late nineties, she was appalled at the idea that men would land on the moon. She said that the moon was put there by God to light the way for lovers and it was folly to send space ships and rockets there. In the days before street lights a clear moonlight night afforded extra opportunities for “walking out” as she called it. She had memories of soldiers who were sent oversees to fight and who found solace in the fact that the moon that they could see was the same moon that their sweethearts could see at home.

When our children were little they loved to look at the moon, I think that was also one of the first words they said. “I see the moon, the moon sees me” was a favourite rhyme in our house and was the inspiration behind “White is the moon”. When our eldest son first learnt to talk he would say things like “look moon, see my kickerballer boots” I am not sure what the moon replied!

When I first started this blog I decided not to make it too personal and so I try to resist the temptation of posting family photo’s, however I am sure you will understand that some events are just too exciting not to mention. We joined the ranks of proud parents this week as we went to our youngest son’s graduation ceremony. Here is our “Sweet Baby James” all grown up and looking very smart in his new suit.

32 comments:

  1. Just lovely... and congraduations to both Mom and her handsome son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and congratulations to James - well done,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful posting .... congratulations to your son!
    May the moon continue to guide you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A significant accomplishment and a happy milestone - best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post and what a great place for a graduation ceremony - congratulations to your son and to the proud parents, too. To answer your question on my last post - yes we were close to Formby Point and we did pop there as well to see if we could see any red squirrels but nojoy - when we visited a couple of years ago we saw quite a few and photographed them but this time they were hiding, I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post and send congrats to the happy handsome grad and his parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to James - can't imagine mine ever getting that old ! I love the owl picture especially as I have a thing about the moon too. Have you seen Jude at Spirit Cloth's entry for today? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photograph - I am sure you are very proud of him (and him of you too). I too love the moon and here on the farm we can walk round the fields by the light of a full moon and often do - the light is magical without any street lights at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations James, looks like the rain held off for the day too :)

    Have you ever looked at the moon through a telescope? My boyfriend has one and its my favourite thing to look at; its amazing to see the craters and rock formations close up...

    ps I love your chicken print from a week or so back, you have such a talent

    ReplyDelete
  10. James is such a handsome young man! Many congratulations to all of you!! I'm happy you shared with us. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, congratulations to James and to all your family.

    This post is reminding me of a children's story book about a bear and the moon. The bear sings it happy birthday and gives it a hat as a present. It's beautiful. Now I'll have to see if I can find it.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  12. May the moon continue to inspire you and your art. Warm congratulations and very best wishes to you and your cute son.

    So glad your friend liked her gift. I'm so stoked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your son!

    I love the moon too, and love to walk around by it's light. It spreads a feeling of tranquillity and also mystery - a feeling of peacefulness and also adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my your owl painting is stunning, there is something sofascinating about the moon. it seems to creep into lots of my paintings & sketches. Love the old ladies view of the moon too. Congratulations to you all. a graduation is something not to be kept quiet. i remember how proud i felt for my own children x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should be a very proud Mum.

    One of my sons, when young, looked into the sky one evening and said "who took a bite out of the moon?"

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Moon to. I just think it is so powerful.

    Congrats to your Son. Great Job.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic post !! Congratulations too..Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations to your son!

    I'm another fan of the moon,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Got it! It's 'Happy Birthday Moon' by Frank Asch (Hodder and Stoughton 1984). The drawings aren't delicate and detailed like yours, Valerie, - but they are, none the less, strong and memorable and the story is gentle and poignant.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post about the moon. I so enjoy basking in all it's splendor when it is full and glowing. And what a proud mama you must be. Congratulations.
    ~ Iva

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always loved the moon, too. (grin) It is one of the beauties of the skies. I think my Grandfather felt the same way--he also thought that phones were a thing of the devil. Tch tch tch!

    Your son is the same age as mine--graduating this spring. Amazing how quickly they grow up.

    Wonderful blot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to that handsome young graduate, James!

    I am another who never, never tires of looking toward the evening/night sky to watch the progress of the moon. I love it as a bright sliver of a crescent and adore it at full, full fullness. Particularly when it is still near our horizon and seems enormous.

    And...still going here, also love seeing a moon still apparent during early daylight hours.

    Magic at all times. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. The painting is lovely! And the story about the old lady is so charming! I remember my mom telling me that my great-grandmother refused to believe that anyone had landed on the moon. I think for an older generation it was very hard to let go of a more mystical view of the moon. It's like being told that stars are flaming balls of gas--it kind of take the romance out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely, evocative post. I think the moon answers something deep within our psyche. I think the "dark side" is the most fascinating thing. I saw a great book once all about the moon with wonderful images in art and photography, but didn't buy it. I regret that now.

    Congratulations to your son for his achievement. Doesn't he look proud?

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the new illustration. I always found moonlight to be magical - hey, I still do! Congrats to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Valerie, Lovely illustration of the Owl and the Magical Moon. Congratulation on your sons graduation. I great accomplishment. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I notice James is standing outside The Lowry. I would love to visit one day. Many congratulations to him for his achievements. You must be so proud of him. I was only five at the time of the moon landing, so I remember nothing. I do remember as a child seeing the face in the moon. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm also a moon lover. There is no other light more magical!

    You must be very proud of your son. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, congratulations to your handsome graduate!! Cheers all round!

    I'm crazy for your owl painting! Aren't they wonderful? Full moon and a garden full of owls. The best kind of night!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have sometimes wondered if there is any research on the possible beneficial effects of moon bathing.

    Congratulations on your handsome son's graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These moments with children are so important...congratulations to you both! I love your owl in the moonlight.

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  32. How wonderful...and congrats my dear..

    ReplyDelete