3/04/2010

World Book Day


Today is World Book Day and I would like to announce the creation of a new website aimed at children and schools. It is the brainchild of Antony Lishak and is called The Author Hotline. Antony describes the site as follows-

“Aimed at primary school children, it sheds light on the creative process, is a perfect way of supporting author-study work, provides a great way for young authors to identify with professionals and is endless hours of enormous fun”.

I have participated in an interview, which is available on the site along with many other children’s authors and illustrators. It is some years now since I did a school visit, answering the interview questions reminded me of one particular young lady that looked at my work and then asked, “and do you do all your own colouring in?” I now look back on my career as almost thirty five years of colouring in! It was my favourite pastime when I was a child and am happy to say that it remains so.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely interview Valerie. I love mushy peas too... and would love to meet Walter Crane :-)

    Hope it's a lovely sunny day where you are... I'm off to The Wild Wood with my lunch.

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that comment about colouring in. I bet it makes you smile every time you remember it.
    Thanks for the link. I love children's books and hope my little lady will love them just as much (to read tho and not just to eat!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard on radio BBC that yesturday was World Pen Day!??? You know what it is???

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super website, and I did enjoy your interview. Let's hope many young writers and illustrators are inspired for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an amazing project. Young children can't get enough of books. Today my daughter celerated World Book Day by going into preschool dressed as Little Red Riding Hood and taking her copy of the book with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and I enjoyed your interview on the smashing website. Getting kids to love books and to read is a challenge today. I think the dreaded telly might be a big reason for that -- well, here in the U.S. especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I'm lucky, both my kids are avid readers. Probably because I allow them such limited internet and telly usage! So I bore them into reading and it's a matter of course and a joy for them now. Yes World Book Day today. They had to go into school dressed as a book character. Mine are past the stage of really wanting to dress up but Isabel went in green today as The Snottle (from a book she borrowed from her brother's library choice). She goes to a rather "nice" all girls school where most others were flower fairies or pretty little nursery rhyme characters. Hah that's my girl - not the norm and out to gently shock . (She would say she was educating the others!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, Valerie. Thanks for having a go at the book quiz. Hasn't it been a lovely, sunny world book day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful website and loved your interview.

    I have always loved books and tried to teach that to my kids and grandkids.

    I have a feeling that my Grandson may be a writer. He has had a journal since he was 8 years old and he loves to make drawings about his stories. He is 12 now and still does it.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dream of gardens by the sea too. I would love one of those run down wooden huts you find down in Dungeness in Kent, right on the shingle. I love fish 'n chips, but the jury's still out with mushy peas! Colouring in! Now even I could do that! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. World book day? I did not know. (And as a Librarian & writer, I'm feeling a little bit sheepish about now!)

    Lovely blog, so glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete