3/24/2011

Red letter days.



There has been so much doom and gloom in the world recently, so much suffering, heartache and unimaginable tragedy everywhere. My own problems appear very trifling when compared to the major catastrophes all around us. Nevertheless, I still would like to say a huge than you for the support and kindness that you have given me over the last few months. I may not have thanked you all individually but have been very appreciative non the less.

So now I would like to share with you some of the things that have made my heart sing. We celebrated Red Nose Day here in Britain recently. Comic Relief is a huge undertaking to raise money for charity. If you read Karen Davis’s blog “Moonlight and Hares” you will know that she offered an exquisite miniature original painting in her Etsy shop. All the proceeds went to Comic Relief and I decided to snap up the treasure whilst the going was good! It came a few days ago, beautifully wrapped and with extra surprise goodies. You can see the gorgeous little ACEO in the photograph; the detail in the fox is stunning.

I also entered a blog giveaway some time ago over on “Sweet Tidings” Christy has a fabulous blog and a huge and compassionate heart. I left the fiftieth comment which turned out to be the winner! She sent me this wonderful parcel all the way from The Philippines. It arrived on the same day as Karen’s so I had a joyous day when the postman knocked.



We have also been experiencing the most wonderful weather, blue skies and sunshine, daffodils and blossom everywhere; I hope your days are joyous too. The lovely Ravilious ceramics also came in the post. These were made by Wedgwood several years ago, sadly no more.

18 comments:

  1. Yes we have sunshine and blossom here too - and it does really lift the spirits!

    Love those Ravilious treasures!

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The copper beech trees are in blossom and there's a hint of green on the deciduous trees here in the US Pacific Northwest. Sunshine yesterday for the first time in ages but more grey skies today! I enjoyed reading your post and got curious about the origins of Red Letter Day. I'm sure you already know, but in case not here's a link that tells all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_letter_day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over here in west Wales it has been gloriously sunny today, and it makes me feel so happy - let's hope this is the start of a decent spring and summer. Those flowers are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about a change in perspective. I cannot imagine what the people of Japan are going through. I loved this blog entry. I adore your artwork, too.

    Have a GEAT day. It is spring here--gray and rainy, but spring non-the less. The small daffys have been up for sometime, but almost overnight the big daffys started to pop up. They are about to begin their blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to receive some beauty - presents and beautiful weather to inspire - and bring flowers! No signs of that in my yard, still full snow cover, but I saw tulip shoots and snowdrops in a friends garden today.
    Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunshine here too. The garden has suddenly burst into life, and so have the weeds.
    A parcel really lifts your spirits, lucky you with two, such lovely things inside to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Karen Davis's work is beautiful, as is yours. Your sincerity and passion always shines through your artwork. I really enjoy popping in from time to time to read your blog. S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. valerie thanks for this lovely spring post! i popped over to karen's etsy shop and saw lots of lovelies that will make their place in this home very shortly!!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valerie, over here in New York, spring continues to try to stake its claim, but we keep having a tussle with wintry stuff like sleet, snow and ice. Still, forsythia is in full bloom, and the daffs are getting more assertive.

    Your purchases and prizes are lovely, and even the stamps are worth a look.

    It's a shame that Wedgwood won't be in production. I've also contemplated getting a mug.

    And. In the background I keep an eye on what we are told about what is going on on Japan, and the Near East. What a world we live in.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! So glad your packet arrived on a perfect spring day. I hope you'll enjoy it! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another lovely day here - we've just walked around the lake at Trentham and the Marie Curie daffodils are looking wonderful just dancing in the slight breeze near the cafe. What lovely treasures you have received in the post - so many different items but all beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear that Spring has lightened your heart Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad there is a spring in your step and the sun in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can smell your daffodils in their pretty jug right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to have exciting things arriving in the post!
    I'd quite given up hope and a super box of chocs appeared yesterday.

    I have been reading through lots of your posts, having been a little out of the loop,
    and do hope you are doing a little better after what must have been a very difficult winter.

    I loved the print of your father with his greenhouse.
    All best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely post Valerie. I wonder, is anyone making English china now? What about the souvenirs for The Wedding?
    As the snow melts after a blizzard here last week the bulbs are showing through again, and soon we too will welcome "Golden Hearted Spring".

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a lovely post Valerie, and lucky you receiving that parcel! My friend has just opened a patchwork shop in Bristol and is selling your Makower Fabrics ( so I made sure they are most prominently displayed!)x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello there! I have featured you and your blog in today's FATuesday Artist Spotlight. What a joy to discover you are Valerie! LOL I just didn't put it together until now. Tch tch tch...silly me! lol

    ReplyDelete