4/01/2012

My heart is like a singing bird.


Illustration taken from "White is the Moon"

“My heart is like a singing bird” from the poem “A Birthday” by Christina Rossetti best describes how I feel right now as we prepare for Easter. This year we hope to also celebrate my husband’s birthday together with four generations of our family.

You may have noticed the addition of a link to “White is the Moon” in my sidebar. This children’s picture book was one I first worked on when our boys were little, now we have a grandson old enough to read it, albeit with his own hilarious adaptation. “Once there was a fish and the fish was called Seymour” and “Pink is the pie” has replaced “Pink is the crab” after he saw it had a close resemblance to a cheese and onion pie! I am waiting for samples to arrive, of the book that is, not the pie. When I have them I will do a giveaway.




We have also been enjoying unbelievably sunny March days; warm enough to sit in the garden in tee shirts and jeans. Ted the dog has been treated to extra long country walks, making the most of the weather before it changes back to cold and grey.
The woodland near home is carpeted with wood anemones and shining stars of celandine, birdsong fills the air, in particular the very lovely music of the song thrush, blackbird and yellow hammer.
Grandson George can be seen proudly wearing his Easter Bonnet, made with help from his clever mum.

The lovely little embroidered bird is from Chloe Redfern, a mixed media artist who has an Etsy shop called Slightly Triangle. Her decorations are absolutely delightful.



I have been painting daffodils for my portfolio, maybe to end up on a paper napkin or greeting card one day? Sometimes it is nice just to work for the sheer pleasure of painting from life.


I hope your Easter days are filled with sunshine and birdsong too.

25 comments:

  1. Oh Valerie, what a beautiful post, and your daffodil illustrations are just perfect! A happy spring/April/sunny Sunday to you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post such a positive one. I LOVE spring!! The daffodil painting is so pretty too!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your blog and wow your daffodil painting is beautifulx
    Its sunny here but cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good to have this wonderful weather; everyone seems to be wearing a smile.

    The daffodils you have painted are superb. What a talented person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes your blog has made my heart sing too as we celebrate another beautifully sunny day. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A joyful post! Happy Palm Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely joyful post!
    Such lovely upbeat images and ideas.
    Let me know when the book is available and I'll order one for Henry!
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very yellow presence in this post. The daffodils are beautiful, I haven't painted a life-like flower in eons, if I ever get back into the studio, I'm inspired to do so in between paintings of misty landscapes.... Happy Easter-time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of those daffodils on paper napkins is a delight Valerie - as is that super photo of your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't this just the most gorgeous time of the year!? And you started with one of my favourite poems.
    Happy Birthday to your husband. My own birthday often falls on Easter... this year it's the day before... so I know how sweet it is to have a birthday this week.

    Love to Ted!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Heaven where you are! We are having the usual wet west coast spring, but today there is a touch of sun amongst the cloud.
    Such a treat to have kids around on holidays...hope your celebrations are grand! Love the daff painting. Your work does show the pleasure you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some lovely spring pics and a beautiful painting - I am sure we will all have plenty to look forward to over the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Palm Sunday! I love the sunny spirit of this post, from fields of flowers to the laughing, impish, adorable boy, to your beautiful daffodil renderings.
    And I love too your grandson's take on your book, he is obviously a very bright and imaginative lad! I'm so glad the book production came together and look forward to seeing more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those daffodils are gorgeous! :)

    Thank you so much for featuring my little bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your daffodils - hopefully they will end up not only on a napkin or a card, but maybe on calendar or in a book! Your work is so delicate - wish I could paint like that.

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a lovely family Easter birthday celebration Val. The book's looking good. Best wishes. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post Valerie. The daffodils are a delight!
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful! Wishing you a Happy Easter, Valerie:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post, and one of my favourite poems! Happy Easter! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I came to you via Frances and find you live in Cheshire just over the border! I really like your illustrations - perfect penguin and fab daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Easter to you. A very joyful post, sunshine and daffodils. Little children bring so much happiness to a family and how lovely that he can now enjoy your story books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful post~ We celebrated my husbands birthday on Easter this year :) Hope your celebration was wonderful!
    Your daffodils are GORGEOUS! We have enjoyed warmer than normal temps. (it is cold again, however) everything came into bloom early and I was inspired to paint wee little flowers. Your designs would make ANY surface a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Valerie,
    I hope your Easter and the birthday celebration for your husband were filled with joy and songs of the heart!

    Rossetti and daffodils, thank you for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How lovely that you can share your book with a new generation, i do love the way children interpret things don't you! I love your daffodils, sigh , beautiful work. I do especially love painting just for pleasure, should try and do it more often really. ruthie x

    ReplyDelete