1/10/2013

A Blessing for the New Year.




"May the roof above us never fall in and may the friends gathered below it never fall out."

I came across this lovely Irish blessing and thought it would be appropriate to share it with you. The new year makes us reflect on what is important in our lives and friendship, family and home have to be at the top of the list.

The designs featured here are part of a group of four which I created this time last year for a major high street retailer. They are part actual cross stitch and part digital and were great fun to do.

We have had a very busy Christmas and have enjoyed having our family and friends around. Many of them are in the process of moving house, through a variety of reasons including work, downsizing etc. So many of us find ourselves putting down roots in places which are unfamiliar, it has made me reflect on the meaning of home. I suppose I agree with the old saying "Home is where the heart is" and for the moment at least my heart is right here, in the misty, moisty and oh so muddy part of the North West of England. This year I have not made any resolutions, last year I wanted to spend more time outside and then it rained for nine months! I would like to try to spend more time painting and making artist books instead of fiddling around on this computer. Speaking of which, I have finally worked out how to add a page. Can you see it above? "Artist Books" is a work in progress. Happy Days.








10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Valerie! May your home be full of love and friends and art books in the making in 2013.

    There is a small, extra resident on her way to your home. I hope she brings a corner of blue sky with her.

    Warmest wishes,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you lots of sunshine in 2013 and all best wishes from New York!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. Those little books are so sweet, such a lovely idea, well done. I now have my new Imac, it looks beautiful, so I'm hoping for more digital work going on this year, but I will always paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie, your samplers are quite lovely, and I think I can detect how cleverly you meshed actual cross stitching with evocations of such stitching. Wonderful!

    Let's hope that this year will have much more sunshine than 2012, and that the additional natural light will allow lots of creativity to blossom.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Irish blessing! I love my home as in house but I often wish it waas somewhere else. Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blessing and the samplers. Let's hope it does finally stop raining so we can get outside this spring:)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Valerie. Please do not make a resolution about spending time outside after last year's debacle. Try making one about spending all year indoors - perhaps that will make the sun shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very poignant saying, that is, home is where my heart lies, inside by the fire with the husband, dog and cat! Happy New Year to you Valerie.I'm sure your year will be full of creativity. Sometimes we have to limit our time on these machines but I'm glad to know what your side of the pond is like. Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A belated Happy New Year and all the best to you and your family! Wishing you lots of inspiration. K. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, and I wish the Irish blessing for you too. The samplers are dear.

    ReplyDelete