6/04/2013

Down The Garden Path



Thank goodness for a bit of sunshine at last, doesn’t it do the heart good?
It is hard to stay indoors when the garden beckons and a recent visit from an artist friend from oversees proved the perfect excuse to revisit Tatton Park.



You may remember my interview with Celeste from not so long ago?
It was fun to meet up again and the hours flew by as we chatted non-stop about gardens and art and everything else besides!



The walled and knot gardens are perhaps my favourite, I love the repetition of form, the patterns made by brick and box hedges and the way that the herbs and plants therein appear like tiny embroidered jewels. I was so inspired by the garden that I decided to create a new notebook called “The Knot Garden” It contains decorative endpapers and twelve small illustrations scattered about the pages and you can see it here-





The gardens at Tatton and the surrounding parkland have always been an inspiration to me. I based lots of my illustrations from “The Acorn’s Story” on the trees and deer, insects and flowers to be found here including this fallow deer painting. I am in the process of converting this book to make it into an application for the iPad, and other digital readers but before I can send the images to Auryn Inc I need to prepare the files, a long but necessary job.



The lovely town of Knutsford is very close by, childhood home of Elizabeth Gaskell and the setting for the town of “Cranford”.
It also has the very best charity shops, possibly because it has a very affluent catchment area. I have been busy buying up old picture frames and finally got around to framing my print collection, it took so long to arrange them, what a difficult task it proved to be! up a bit, down a bit, left a bit etc….



So you can see I am torn between my garden and my computer and never quite manage to get the balance right. There are so many jobs to be done, all the rain and now the sun’s warming rays have caused a huge growth spurt and everything is bursting with life. The aquilegias are particularly pretty at the moment and have spread into every available nook and cranny. It has been lovely to see the return of the bumblebees and butterflies, including a Yellow Brimstone, I haven’t seen one of those in ages. My cup floweth over!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I know all too well what you mean Val! I'm trying to finish a piece for an artshow and the weather has been glorious here! And EVERYTHING needs tending to!
    Knot gardens must be a huge amount of maintenance, but so lovely...as is your deer. Enjoy your sunny time. I try to do work in the evenings on computer and felting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is years since I visited Tatton Park Valerie - thanks for the reminder. And I do agree about the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely.
    I adore all those neat rows.
    Is that lettuce?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend the day. I have also been around the garden making a note of all the jobs that need doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those huge tulips and the rows of lettuce, I have always liked formal gardens. Your little book is beautiful, the watering can illustration is lovely. All your prints look delightful gathered together. The sun is out and it lifts the spirits for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the garden at Tatton ... it's only an hour from us and we visit quite often.

    And yes, how wonderful to have some sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valerie, I've got to make a note of Tatton Park. You certainly picked an ideal day to see the garden. Many thanks for the photos.

    Yes...great inspiration for drawings, textiles, and just a pleasure to see.

    Perhaps someday I'll also be able to stroll around there myself.

    Meanwhile...thank you so much for your photos, and best wishes with your own garden, too. (and the ebook, too!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunshine is definitely a good thing... we finally have it here, too. And, I completely give up May to gardening. Don't have any pressing work other than to get myself back into the studio when the gardens are weeded, composted and mulched - and tweaked of course. Looks like yours is flourishing. Happy sunshine! I hope we have a good, balanced summer of sun and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have aquilegias growing all over at the moment too, they do look very pretty. The gardens at Tatton are beautiful and how lovely to share them with your friend. Isn't it wonderful to have some warm sunshine at last?:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, you have a special blog space here,all the way from the UK! First of all, thank you so much for coming to visit my blog post! And yes, I do know Little Grey Rabbit; and you probably spotted HIM in my garden! Yes, we have many a wild bunny come to live at RABBIT HILL, our home.

    Your prints are delightful in every way! We are bunny lovers and I too am an artist on Etsy, though I have slowed down on production of my work.

    Wishing you magic in your garden and a conversation with a bunny or two! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your garden pth and the "Moody Blue" of the previous. Hope the days are better. We all have those times of thoughtful silence and a touch of sadness...
    But, the sunshine brings light and love and big smiles.

    I think of you so often, dear friend. Hope our paths will cross gain sometime in the not-so-far-away future.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tatton Park looks fab - it's one of those places on my 'to do 'list. Can't resist a walled garden! Make the most of the sun - apparently we're set to change again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My garden is growing like mad as well, but it's very welcome, especially after such a late start to spring. It looks like you had a great day out, and what a lovely idea for a notebook - I love your little illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. May I just say I hope there are many more of these days ahead. Love your notebook very much

    ReplyDelete
  15. Valerie, The garden planter against the brick wall is a sensation.It is so difficult to stay out of the garden these days and I am actually grateful today for rain and storms, ( I have work to finish up!) The gathering of your gorgeous prints on the wall is perfect. It takes forever to arrange pictures.

    ReplyDelete