8/20/2015

Barn Owl painting and Intaglio printing.


August over half way through already! I am sure by now all my readers will have deserted me in my absence but for anyone still out there be assured that I have been visiting your blogs, not always commenting but appreciating your worlds.

Since my last post I have been struggling to finish a second book commission for Long Barn Books. If you are not familiar with this company it is owned by the writer Susan Hill famous for her “Woman in Black”. Susan has recently started a new venture and has added Little Barn Books to her fold. She has a brand new website with lots of news about her latest creation for children named Billy Bigheart.


I found the time to work on another miniature, this time a barn owl for the gallery “Art of the Imagination”. I was delighted to find a lovely old-fashioned frame to put it in and was rather reluctant to parcel it up for the postman.


It hasn’t been all work; we had a family birthday celebration for a youngest son James who celebrated his thirtieth birthday. Getting the house and garden ready for thirty guests was challenging to say the least. Fortune shone on us by sending a day of sunshine for the event. It was a lovely day and I think my lawn may recover at some point?

We enjoyed watching the film "Woman in Gold", have you seen it? I love the paintings of Gustav Klimt, they are so decorative and full of pattern and colour. 


Finally, I have got around to listing a new print in my Etsy shop. I have been trying out intaglio printing, a very old method of printmaking, which involves drawing directly onto a metal plate with a stylus. You can read more about the method used here-



I hope you have all had a good summer and I promise not to stay away for quite so long next time. x

20 comments:

  1. I love the print and wow, that owl painting is splendid :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe, I have been admiring your embroideries too. x

      Delete
  2. So good to catch up on all your news!
    Love the owl painting - and love your summery garden.
    Greetings from New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sending my greetings back to you Elizabeth, I am very envious of you costal location and your trips to Long Island.

      Delete
  3. You have been missed! But as you are on my side bar I was soon back on to see what you have been up to. Lovely barn owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I have been visiting you so have not been very far. x

      Delete
  4. It seems as if you have been having a rather busy summer.

    As always, I so admire your art. The owl painting is exquisite, and the little frame suits it perfectly.

    I'm intrigued by the intaglio print, perhaps just a bit similar to drypoint? I remember loving the drypoint technique, even if it did require some serious drawing. Your fungi print is beautifully delicate, and the ink color is perfect.

    Belated birthday wishes to your son. Your comment about your garden lawn reminded me of broadcasters' comments during the second week of Wimbledon.

    It's grand to know that your connection with Long Barn Books continues.

    Best wishes to you and yours as summer's transition to autumn begins. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think intaglio is drypoint, no etching into the metal-just drawing with a pointy thing. I wish you a happy transition too and let's hope for an Indian Summer. x

      Delete
  5. Good to see you Valerie, of course you have been busy. Susan Hill is very fortunate to have such a great illustrator as yourself, but it is always a relief to finally finish a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jeri, I think I am the fortunate one. I hope all is well with you and the menagerie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe menagerie is not quite the correct word!

      Delete
  7. I've always loved Susan Hill' s book 'The Magic Apple Tree' - I must find my copy and read it again. Your painting of the barn owl is really beautiful, l'm not surprised that you didn't want to part with it even on a temporary basis:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that book too. I have two copies.One is a special cloth bound edition in a slip case. The illustrations are beautiful also.

      Delete
  8. Glad to see you back blogging again and hope all is well with the completion of the book- wonderful miniature and the intaglio is fab! Hope your garden's full of bees this summer- we're not doing too badly down here, considering the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jules, plenty of bees here too, this year we seem to have a new variety, really large brown ones. Not so many butterflies but I noticed a peacock toady. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your barn owl miniature is wonderful and I love the toadstool print. I've always enjoyed Susan Hilll's books especially her Simon Serailler novels. August has gone so quickly hasn't it? Soon Autumn will be upon us and I don't feel we've had a proper summer yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again! My you have been busy! Your little antique framed owl is lovely...I've used prized bits in my work and I always figure if someone loves it as much as I do then it will have a good home. The mushroom etching is gorgeous! Looks very old worldly...by the way, always grateful to see your comments on my blog...thanks Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosie, I agree- this summer is getting to feel very Autumnal, maybe we will have an Indian Summer? We live in hope!.
    Kerry, you understand about creating something and letting it go, wise words indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm liking the painting, and I'm aboslutely loving the mushroom print, stunning workValerie :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, I value your comments. x

      Delete