11/06/2016

No News November


November already and I have slowed down, almost to a halt but not quite. Despite some truly wonderful days with our family my spirits and productivity have been woefully low, possibly due to falling ill with some nasty lurgy. Now everything has turned wet and cold and gloomy.

We did manage a cheery day out to our nearby parkland with grandson George and enjoyed visiting the farm, this year they had. Ronald Dahl theme. Can you guess who lived in the Den?



I have been getting rather obsessed with hand carved stamps, their accessibility and usefulness intrigues me. Here are some examples I put together as demonstration pieces for a workshop I shall be running shortly. So far I have concentrated on paper but would be interested to hear from anyone who has stamped onto fabric, in particular which inks to use?






8 comments:

  1. I'm just getting over a chest cold and working on a few new pieces but I here ya...sometimes it's just not there or maybe you need a break and get inspired again. Love those stamps. I've not much experience with them.
    That horse!! wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your chest cold, time to lay low and recharge those batteries! X

      Delete
  2. Oh no...not the dreaded lurgy! I somehow like the sound of the word, but still hope that you will be feeling better and better.

    I guess that we cannot run at top speed all the time, and sometimes having a forced break can be sort of enjoyable.

    Your Halloween owl is such an evocative image. I just love it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "there's a lot of it about" is the comment most heard in these parts. I guess it goes with the season. Thanks for your comments Frances and fingers crossed for tomorrow. x

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling better - I too have spent the past 2 weeks feeling below par with a lurgy.
    Hand carved stamps are fun, it's something I do if I demonstrate block printing while on my stall at a fair and it always attracts attention! I must do some in my studio and experiment ... at Folk East each stallholder was asked to decorate a pice of bunting - I printed one of my stamps on the flag and it worked brilliantly! Try the inks you normally use for paper as well as multi-purpose ink-pads and I've heard good things about the Speedball Fabric block printing inks. Easy carve pink rubber and the Japanese blue/green vinyl seem to print better than grey lino onto fabrics.
    Have fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Celia, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I still have the Christmas decorations you made years ago that I bought from your Etsy shop - angels and bears and show them to the students. I have been trying out some blue Factis for stamp making, it works like a dream. I shall try out your suggestions, thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Valerie! Get better soon. I am loving your stamps, especially the acorn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete