5/11/2009

Final countdown for Mrs Tiggywinkle?



Following comments left by my last post I suddenly realized that this is the first year that I have not seen a hedgehog. Our suburban garden has always played host to generations of these quiet and dignified little creatures and could often be seen shuffling about at nighttime eating up slugs and other garden pests. Many of you say the same so I decided to see what I could find out about their numbers. According to this article hedgehogs will have died out completely by 2025!!!!

More research is needed into the causes of their dramatic decline and concerned individuals are being asked to take part in surveys in order to shed more light on the situation. If you feel that you would like to help you can record your sightings of hedgehogs here- You can also find more information about these creatures here at the The British Hedgehog Preservation Society

As with the bumblebee please feel free to use this image on your own blog to link to any of these conservation sites. There are so many creatures in need of help it is easy to feel overwhelmed, yesterday I saw two bumblebees, which appeared to be dying, crawling around unable to fly. What kind of a world are we leaving to our grandchildren I wonder?