5/04/2011

Messing about on the river.


Last week we went to Henley-on-Thames to visit Makower, home of Henley studio. I went to meet with the design team to discuss possible new fabric collections. We arrived in time to have a riverside picnic and walk, spotting wildlife along the way.Red kites circled overhead, coots and mallards on the river, chaffinches and yellow wagtails along the path and too many enviable gardens to mention.

Henley is quite a drive from our house so we try to combine it with an overnight stop in Oxford. As most of the students were still on holiday we were able to stay here in the most beautiful Elizabethan College and ate our breakfast in the ancient hall.

On our return journey we stopped at Stratford-on-Avon and took a ferry past the famous theatre and home of The Royal Shakespeare Company. As you can see from the photographs, (click to enlarge) the weather was amazing, sunny, bright and breezy. I should write more but I am now busy packing my bag for my next trip.

I hope to catch up with everyone when I get back,

See you later, alligator.

12 comments:

  1. valerie . . . very fortunate you!!!! happy times!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie, this looks like an amazingly beautiful place. It's one of those places that's on my 'someday I'll visit' list. Long journey for me as I live right in the west of Wales, but I will someday. Enjoy your trip. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an enviable trip! Sigh! So glad to see your photos and follow along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delightful Valerie. I remember visiting Stratford years ago and I loved it. Henley on Thames is not too far away from me and I love visiting there too. I see the wisteria on your photos. I believe it has been particularly good this year. Have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful trip! Your photos are lovely. We are off to Stratford in a couple of weeks time - we have tickets to see The Merchant of Venice at the main theatre and I'm really looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy your next adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was introduced to the RSC by my high school English Lit. teacher and was so excited to visit in person when I went to Stratford - many, many years ago - with my family. Love your photo of the wisteria!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea to stay in one of the university buildings, only yesterday I was talking about a trip to Oxford with a friend, may well do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful place to stay, full of history. Stratford was oneof my favourite places to stay when i lived in the midlands, it brings back lovely summery memories.
    Enjoy your next trip, cant wait to hear all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! Just like Ratty and Mole!

    And speaking of alligators.... I just got back in from a long walk... and I saw one! I'm staying at a house on the marshes of South Caroline and there is a "Please don't feed the alligators" sign just across the drive!!!
    As if I would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you Valerie, to be off on your travels again!! Enjoy yourselves. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Valerie, for sharing your getaway with us!
    I have never been to fair England, and your pictures make me look forward even more to one day travel in your footsteps.
    Hugs,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful views, I would love to be there.
    I had a look at the Makower website and all your beautiful coordinated designs - what a perfect match of art and industry.

    ReplyDelete