7/24/2009

Stormy weather


All together now---"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but inside it's so delightful, and we really don't even mind, because today we're going to bookbind".

The rain has put a stop to any plans we might have had to get our garden in order so I have been doing a spot of bookbinding. I bought some lovely old sage grey/green book cloth ages ago and it has been sitting looking at me from the corner of my room waiting for a bookbinding day. I wasn't quite sure what I would do with it, somehow it just took shape. I had some pre-cut pieces of board which I covered and backed with Khadi paper. I lined a third piece of cloth with a black, handmade paper which has little pink petals in the fibers, this piece formed the spine. I cut and folded the signatures to make a four sections which I sewed onto the spine with linen thread.

I love all the paraphernalia associated with bookbinding and have been slowly gathering bits and pieces of equipment over the years. Needles, linen thread, beeswax, bone folders, I simple cannot resist buying them when I get the chance as you can see if you click on the photographs.



You can see the finished book here.

19 comments:

  1. Rain, rain, please do not go away, if it not only brings May flowers, but also beautiful books like yours, Valerie!

    Wow. Your bookbinding is very inspirational. Thank you for showing some of what is involved.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's it the best thing to have a passion for something creative? To sit inside on a rainy day and work at something you love is the best way to spend a day. And such a wonderful art, bookbinding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work - I so admire your skill and accuracy. Next Wednesday I suggest Inspirational Wednesday (see my blog today) and do hope you will join us - I would love to know who inspires you most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, Acornmoon, and what a lovely way to spend a rainy day. I like the view of your garden through the window too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good day today so you get the best of both worlds. Lovely binding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's so lovely to peep at your rainy day work - how gorgeous. Lucky lucky you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it's raining you're making beautiful, handmade books! Let it rain!

    I just adore your works valerie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! You're making me want to learn a new skill....

    ~ Carolee

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous book - I love the green/grey colour:) I have felt stymied by the rain for the past few days but yesterday got out my family history files and went back to one of my winter activities:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a beautiful book Valerie. Someday I will learn to bookbind... sigh.

    And I have to admit I am strangely enjoying the weather. I think I must be too distracted by happiness to really mind the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely stitch down the back of your book. Your work is so neat and the tiny pictures - all together - make a nice "statement" on the front. Wonderful owl, too. - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Day from Michigan.

    Your book binding project turned out fantastic. The Ivy leaves are wonderful. I always appreciate rainy days because I know my gardens are so happy to have mother natures rains upon them. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful work !! I enjoyed this post..Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely book Valerie. Don't know why it took me so long to find your blog. It's now on my list to check daily.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your book is so lovely - I could almost SMELL the process.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am fascinated by bookbinding and your book looks wonderful. I am not a very neat worker which rather puts me off, as I know you have to be very precise and accurate about everything. I made cards while the rain poured down - at least our work isn't dependent on the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever you. That is such a wonderful talent to have. I am very impressed.

    We have had a lot of rain haven't we? I am sure I remember the long range forecast at the beginning of the summer saying we were in for a blistering barbecue summer of hot weather and little rain. Perhaps August will be different, but then again....!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful Valerie.
    I love it.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful. I love the stitching on the spine. Could I learn how to do that?

    ReplyDelete