9/28/2010

The art of beautiful writing.



Imagine my great surprise and delight when this beautiful hand written envelope dropped through my letterbox amidst the junk mail and household bills! Ted, my over zealous Jack Russell caught it, singling it out as the most chewable of the days offerings. Fortunately I was there in time and after bellowing, “Leave it!!!” I managed to save this most precious letter from the jaws of destruction.

The envelope was such a joy to behold I scarcely dared to open it, after finding a sharp knife I cautiously slit it open to reveal the most beautiful hand written thank you letter and this magnificent gift, my name in exquisite penmanship. Heather had previously purchased one of my miniature books, which had prompted this unexpected delight.



The penmanship is the work of Heather Victoria Held, a calligrapher from St. George Ontario with a passion for Spencerian Script. She has a lovely blog, which I have been following for some time now. She also has a website which is worth a visit especially if you are considering commissioning a piece of calligraphy as a special gift. In these days of email and often-impersonal digital media I can think of nothing more meaningful than a piece of her artistry.

22 comments:

  1. thank you for the kind words Valerie. I cherish my miniature book and was so happy to send a thank you to you.
    xo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear that is gorgeous!
    Lucky honored you!
    I shall take a walk over to her blog and website thanks to you
    love the photo of your dog carrying that big stick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Heather's work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I bet you're relieved you rescued that envelope from Ted's teeth! It's beautiful.

    Do you think we're starting to appreciate flamboyant Victorian style at last?

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to know people still love to create beautiful lettering such as this.

    My goodness! I'd give my eyeteeth to receive such a letter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite workmanship - shall pop over to see her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exquisite workmanship - shall pop over to see her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie it is gorgeous! A sweet gift, for a sweet gal~
    Thank you for sharing Heather's name... will visit her soon!

    Yes! Mice do eat those buttons ;) You could write and illustrate a lovely story about them... I have plenty of buttons to share if you would like! :)
    Hope your week is perfect so far!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful calligraphy.
    Love the work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful work, what a treasure to receive in the mail. St.George is not so far from here, one of our pretty little Ontario towns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful, Valerie! She is, indeed, talented and I can see why you'd be delighted!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, beautiful! Oh I dream of having beautiful handwriting, the kind people had when it meant something. But this is a whole different league! The time and patience it must take. I am full of admiration.

    Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful thing to receive in the post. It's good job you rescued the envelope from Ted's attentions because it is something to treasure forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Handwritten notes are not so common anymore. We use e-mails and typed letters. Its always means something more with that hand written thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather's work is beautiful!

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very special! I learnt caligraphy in my junior years but left it far behind - this makes me want to start all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a beautiful Spencerian script and on my list of things to learn someday. I will happily visit this website for inspiration.
    P.S. 57, same here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is most special - I haven't seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pure gorgeousness!Must check out her website now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How delicious a treasure is that! Beautiful work, i should love to be able to do calligraphy!

    ReplyDelete