8/26/2008

Postcards from France

Mountains and blue skies at the end of the valley close to where we stayed in the Alps made a perfect setting for a picnic.

The botanical garden at Samoens in The Grande Massif region was one of the places we visited. This is a most wonderful, heavenly garden which climbs up the mountainside, natural waterfalls and leafy glades make a spectacular setting for this collection of alpine plants. If I could have wrapped it up and brought it home I would have done so! Everywhere you look you can see spectacular scenery which made the climb to the top well worth the effort. 

We have reluctantly returned home to a very grey and autumnal England after spending some time in sunny France. I will not bore you with my 180 holiday snaps but here are just a few! This rather lovely flower display is in Nuits St Georges - home to wine of the same name. Of course it would have been rather rude not to have sampled a glass or two, very nice it was too!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs. Thanks for sharing them. I do love visiting your site and have added you to my list of Splendid Locales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous! You know there is something very distinctly different about the photos from England and France. I had always heard of the painterly light. But it really does look different there. Maybe some day I will get to visit and se it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photographs! This is perfect timing for me as I just did a post about my grandfather who was from France and I am curious about the country he came from. I am looking forward to seeing more...and I hope you had a relaxing holiday!

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my post about the rain. At the risk on sounding pompous, I humbly have to say that it was I who wrote the post, not Beatrix. She was responsible for the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pamela, I do apologize! You are a very gifted writer, the piece that I read was such a good fit with the illustration that I wrongly assumed it to be the work of one individual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, glad you had a good holiday and escaped the perpetual rain. It all looks wondeful:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love that huge terracotta pot! Lovely photos of such a beautiful place. So glad you saw the sun, something you wouldn't have seen if staying at home. We really have had the worst August possible. x

    ReplyDelete